Monday 10 August 2015

From Mourning To Dancing



Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
Psalm 30:11 (KJV)

Can mourning ever truly be turned to dancing? I guess this question passed through my mind several times after my husbands death. To help me through the grief I was reading scripture on grief and comfort. Interestingly scriptures you knew before read, quoted and sang about took on a totally new meaning. For years I had loved and sang Ron Kenoly's song that says'He's turned my mourning into dancing again,His lifted my sorrow I can't stay silent I must sing for my joy has come' . It was a truly comforting song to sing when you face diverse challenges in life especially as the lyrics are taken directly from scripture. When some of those storms came and blew past it was a major breakthrough. One may be tempted to feel a sense of accomplishment as in wow! I really put my faith to work and God came though for me and then we promptly get on with life. 

However when a major life altering tragic event like the death of your beloved spouse happens a whole lot of things including certain scriptures take on a new perspective. The night my husband died after the lack of tact and sensitivity of one of the policemen  who answered my call to my dear Tunbosun's phone and my initial shock and confusion, I was able to make a few calls and then hurdled my children into my car and drove to the hospital all along praying, crying and reassuring them he would be okay. As I drove into the hospital i saw a police van packed in front of the emergency room. The police men and a couple of nurses were standing around the van. It didn't look good but I kept holding on. I parked told the children to wait then walked toward the van suddenly my legs became so heavy every step of that short work felt like there was a weight tied to my legs as i approached the back of the van I saw him .........the rest is history.

Many times I have remembered my walk that night in relation to Psalms 30:11 then the inevitable question would come to mind, is it possible for mourning feet to dance again? If you had asked me that night and the weeks and months following my answer would probably be no or at best like Ezekiel at the valley of dry bones i would have said God alone knows. To start with my feet were literally so heavy and it was impossible to dance then there was no song or joy in my heart or lips since dancing goes with being joyful and singing. I had even wondered if it was even possible to simply live again how much more dancing. I have come to realize that some things in life can only be possible because there is a God who has the power to change any and every situation. A God of unlimited possibilities He alone has what it takes to turn impossible situations around. I am talking of impossible situations like making the mourning to dance.

Is your heart heavy with grief? Do your feet feel like they have lost what it takes to dance?  Have you asked that question like i did i.e. can these feet dance again? Beloved child of God I have good news for you. The answer is a resounding yes. As you allow God to work in you,  you will surely dance again and it is not out of compulsion or a sense of obligation to God but dancing as a result of unspeakable joy the Lord will cause you to experience, spontaneous dancing because of the beautiful breakthroughs and testimonies God will bring into your life. He will remove every sack cloth of grief and sorrow and gird you with gladness.  My prayer for you is that like Sarah soon you will say 'God has made me to laugh so that all that hear will laugh with me. The same way people came to weep with you God will do what will make people rejoice and celebrate with you in Jesus Mighty Name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment