Tuesday 3 March 2015

The Secret Place







He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the most High.
I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress,  my God; in Him will I trust.
Psalm 91:1-2

Remember when you met your husband how you just cherished every moment together as time went by you learnt to know and understand each other because you spent time together. I remember the unending conversations I had with my hubby on every topic imaginable and the times when just being together was enough we didn't need to say anything.Then suddenly, he was gone. Finding the strength and will to carry on with life after loss is certainly not easy.  I can't begin to describe the hopelessness I experienced every morning after losing my dear husband. There was nothing to look forward to just a huge weight that threatened to incapacitate me. I longed so much for Jesus to come back and take us home. Life without my hubby was to say the least unattractive.

At a point i was stripped of all emotion, numb and unable to pray or read my Bible.  However, I had to come to terms with reality my husband was gone and I was still here. I knew for sure I didn't want to go on like that and couldn't even go on with the weight of pain and hopelessness I was carrying. But was there help anywhere? Could I find hope and a reason to go on? Would life ever be good, joyful and purposeful again? Gradually, I began to pray again and read my Bible. Then I discovered that there is place of power, inner strength, hope and  joy a place where my spirit connects with God and everything else fades. A place where the weight is lifted.  A place where i am equipped to face the future, it is called the secret place and it's simply the presence of God.

God created man for fellowship, unfortunately many Christians fail to realize the depth of fellowship God is calling us to. Psalm 91:1 says 'He that dwells' in other words the secret place is not a place we visit and depart from but we remain His presence  becomes our dwelling place where we lay it all before Him and trust Him. We often forget that He is a person and wants so much to have a close fellowship with us. Like every relationship it takes times to cultivate the presence of God but unlike any other relationship we can take the Holy Spirit with us anywhere and He is with us all the time. 

Just like we enjoyed and cherished our spouse's company God is inviting us to share deep fellowship with Him. For my husband and I our bedroom was one place we could share secrets, pray, play, laugh, cry, quarrel & make up, be naked without being ashamed -it was our secret place, our own space. Well God wants our relationship with Him to be like that, regular, consistent and open. He invites us to make His presence our dwelling place and invites us to abide under His shadow. He becomes our refuge and fortress from the storms of grief.

When we delight in coming into His presence daily as we spend time in studying His word, praying,  listening and waiting for Him , hopelessness changes to hope,sorrow gives way to joy, He takes our weakness and brokenness and gives us strength. We understand that His plans and thoughts toward us are for good, He becomes so real, His joy fills us and radiates around us. Life has meaning again and we know in our hearts of hearts that we will make it and all our tomorrows will be okay.

At first it might seem like an up hill task but we need to work at it. Be committed and learn to pray without ceasing. Talk to Him as you do your chores around the house, or drive somewhere, talk to Him while waiting for an  appointment you can speak to Him at all times. Have the consciousness that God is with you always don't be to formal just be you. He is waiting for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment