Monday 9 March 2015

Fear Not


So do not fear, I am with you; do not be dismayed,for  I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
Isaiah 41: 10 & 13


Fear is described by some as 'False Evidence Appearing Real'. In many instances this definition of fear can said to be true. I remember reading a book years back in which the author said many of the things we fear will happen to us or our loved ones usually don't happen.  So we shouldn't spend our lives bound by fear and controlled by what if this or that goes wrong. It makes a whole lot of sense.  However I believe there are situations and circumstances we find our selves in that genuinely elicit fear. 

I believe for many widows fear is real and comes about in different ways.  Some of the fears I have experienced as a widow include I and my children's financial security, how do I get them through school, what will happen to the children if i die, I am afraid when any of them have to travel (lost my husband in an accident) ,I wonder what will happen to me when they all leave home, fear of being alone.Then the issue of terrorism,insurgency and the Nigerian 2015 elections. We have prayed,prayed and prayed. Churches and Christians all over have prayed but even this weekend there were bomb blasts. The tension is palpable among the polity and the situation in Nigeria suggests it will take a miracle not to have post election violence. That miracle is what we are believing for but then many times fear creeps in. What if God doesn't intervene like someone told me don't bother to pray God is tired of Nigeria. I know He'll never get tired but what if violence erupts or even a full fledged war what do I do -a single mother with four children where do I run to, I am from the North my husband was from the South West. Considering the North/South, Christian/ Muslim and ethnic differences in Nigeria I wonder where to run to when everyone is running. I am sure others can identify with some of my fears and add a list of theirs.

A few days back I read through the book of Esther in the Bible and was thrilled at how God works. Haman hated Mordecai simply because the man wouldn't bow down to him and so he decides to eliminate him and his entire race. He got the King to permit the destruction of all the Jews in 127 provinces! Only because Haman didn't bow before him and reverence him. My goodness! It's hard to believe how some people's minds work isn't it.  Understandably Nehemiah was alarmed and so were the jews they went into wailing and mourning because a decree sealed by the king's ring was irreversible.  Death was imminent and certain. Your guess is as good as mine..fear gripped the Jews. Knowing that one is going to die is bad enough but knowing the exact day and the fact that you and your entire family including children would be hacked to death will certainly engender fear. There was no way out and no where to run to... talk of being between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Well God was aware of Haman's evil intentions long before he finished scheming,  God raised a young orphan Esther. I believe Vasti's refusing to respond to the king's call was all part of God's master plan. She was dethroned and Esther was selected along with other young virgins from whom the king would choose a Queen. From the day she stepped into the palace God caused her to find favor before Hegai the keeper of the women the Bible says she pleased him and obtained kindness from him. Of course he knew what the king liked and so he prepared Esther for the one night with the king that would change her destiny and that of the Jewish people. She took only what Hegai gave her and I guess she did only what he told her. Everyone that saw her that night liked what they saw as for King Xerxes it was love at first sight. My Bible said the king loved her more than all the virgins and she obtained grace and favor in his eyes. Don't forget it's all part of God's master plan for this orphan and the Jewish people.

God specializes in taking what is meant for evil and turning it to good. I don't know what you are going through or the circumstances that you are faced with that fill you with fear. You wonder how will you get through this or what will your tomorrow be like. May I announce to you that God is at work on your behalf touching hearts, orchestrating change and countering evil. That same God that delivered the Jews, the same one that took an orphan and made her the wife of the most powerful man on earth and Queen in a foreign land is working on your behalf.  You will not be consumed and you will not be put to shame. Just like the story of Esther ended in a miraculous deliverance a 'happily ever after'  victory, joy and celebration so also will your story end.

Beloved of the Lord I say unto you FEAR NOT God is with you do not be dismayed He will help you.  Let your focus not be on the challenge but on God He is bigger. Commit all to him and trust Him knowing He loves you unconditionally and He's got your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment