Wednesday 23 July 2014

Why 2 - Go Ahead and Ask!


James 1:5 (NLT)
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.

In many Nigerian customs the fear of elders is the beginning of wisdom this includes parents, leaders and anyone older than you. You are not to question their authority. Even when an elder is wrong you must not mention it. So an elder is high up there, can do no wrong and is sometimes feared. Unfortunately many Christians see God in the same way the logic is if you fear and reverence men how much more the Almighty God.

I smile as I remember a group of women from a particular church that visited me when I lost my husband. I was sharing how a book that had been given to me by one of my pastors had helped me. When I mentioned the title of the book –‘When God doesn’t make Sense’ by James Dobson the pastor’s wife almost jumped out of her skin the focus of our conversation changed and they left soon after. Not that I minded because some of them had that ‘danger! Widow, run for your life it might be contagious’ look. Their reaction to the title of the book is just the same with the issue of asking questions. They must have thought how dare anyone even think of God not making sense? What they didn’t realise is that it is more about us not making sense of what God is doing.

Some people fear God might get angry if He is questioned. Others think its disrespectful, some think we might embarrass or discredit God, what if he can’t or doesn’t answer, while others feel as His children we should trust Him in all things knowing He cares and holds our past, present and future securely in His hands. While the last school of thought appears to be the right thing not all Christians are able to go through loss without wondering why at some point even when they know God is in control.

I believe people’s admonitions not to ask is driven by their own fears and insecurities due to misconceptions about fatherhood. Unfortunately this leads to grieving people harboring unspoken questions, fears and uncertainties. They become confused and with time may be resentful towards God because he has allowed this loss and yet refuse them to express their hurts and confusion to him. Asking in this case is not about being disrespectful or rude to God it’s about expressing your hurt and lack of understanding to the one that cares more than anyone else. Asking is therapeutic because it allows you pour out your heart to the father. Bottling up only adds to your pain.

Romans 8:15 says; So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him ‘Abba, Father’. (NLT). Come on dare to call him Father! Like a child run up and cuddle up near Him and pour out your heart to Him. It frees you from doubts and uncertainties and gives you a sense of peace and release. Cry if you want to but let it out, He is waiting.

Our text says ‘ask…he will not rebuke you for asking? You will be moving forward in your grief. Remember you must trust him enough to leave the answers in his hands because he will answer in the way he deems fit but in your best interest. It may be by giving you some explanation, speaking through his word, others or experiences or simply giving his peace, hope or assurance that all things will work together for good. While I am not guaranteeing you will get an answer or the answer you want, I can guarantee that it will do you good especially if you are the question asking type like me. He will reach you were your at and help you.

Some of the questions you need answers to are the How’s of life after death, how do I cope alone, raise my children alone or pay my bills etc again the Lord says through James 'ask your generous God and he will give it to you' – the wisdom and direction you need to carry on.

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those widows who thought I must be a disappointment to God because I had so many "Why?!!!" questions. When my Christian psychologist told me that God was more than big enough to handle all of my questions and feelings of anger and disappointment in Him, it was such a relief that I could be REAL with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Candy, God is truly big enough to handle our questions and anger and like you said its such a relief to know that. The truth is so many widows do struggle with whether they should ask questions or not and guilt about asking. Let's keep being 'REAL' with Him.

    ReplyDelete